Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dirty Rice with Smoked Sausage and Chicken

Several years ago, a friend of mine brought dinner to our house and we thought it was the BEST dinner ever!  And if I wasn't trying to eliminate processed and packaged food from our dinner rotation I would probably still be making dirty rice from a box.  Tonight I perfected the replacement!!  And I am quite proud of myself!  I started thinking that it was actually possible when Sherrie posted the Cajun Brown Rice recipe.  I took some suggestions from her and this is what I came up with.
Ingredients:
  • 2 Small Chicken Breasts (cooked and shredded)
  • 1 (13 oz pkg) Smoked Sausage (I used Turkey)
  • 1/2 Green Pepper (diced)
  • 1/2 Red Pepper (diced)
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
  • 4 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 1/2 Cups Water
  • 3 Cups Brown Rice
  • 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • About a Tablespoon of Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 Cups Corn (I cut the corn off of two ears of cooked corn on the cob)
Serves 6-7

Heat olive oil in large skillet.  Cook onions for about 3-4 minutes.  Add in garlic cook another minute.  Add in red and green peppers.  Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
Pour in water and chicken stock.  Turn heat to high.
 When it comes to a boil add in rice, chicken, and smoked sausage.  Stir in Cajun seasoning, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and parsley.  Bring mixture to boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add in corn stir and fluff rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment